Passengers are often faced with the problems concerning the baggage carriage on their arrival at the airport. Some people take as a baggage only a suitcase or a bag, others take a bike or a snowboard, and the others take a pet as a baggage. However, there are certain regulations for the baggage carriage, which is better to know in advance.
The Extracts from Passenger and Baggage Carriage Rules
Passenger’s baggage is accepted for carriage at the check-in desk at the airport of departure, airport of transfer, airport of destination or another point of check-in.
Passenger has the right for the carriage of baggage for free due to the established baggage allowance norms without additional payment (hereinafter — the norm of free baggage allowance).
Norms of free baggage allowance, including passengers’ personal belongings, shall be established by the carrier, depending on the aircraft type and may not be less than10 kg per passenger.
Carrier is obliged to accept for carriage passenger’s baggage within the norms of free baggage allowance.
Excess baggage, oversized baggage and heavy baggage is accepted for the carriage only if there is a space-available basis and will be carried subject to load capacities of the aircraft and under condition of payment by the passenger for the carriage of such baggage, except the cases where such carriage was agreed with the carrier and paid at check-in.
If a passenger provided for carriage the baggage with weight and/or size smaller than it was reserved and paid for in advance, the cost difference between the declared and actual weights and/or size of baggage must be reimbursed to the passenger.
Passenger has the right to declare the value of checked baggage.
The value of checked baggage may be declared for each item of baggage separately.
A fee, which is determined by the carrier, will be charged for transportation of baggage with a declared value.
As confirmation of payment for checked baggage carriage with declared value, a miscellaneous charges order (MCO) or receipt of payment for baggage carriage with declared value shall be issued for the passenger.
Passengers, who are travelling as a group, by their request, have a right, and the airline may accept checked baggage to the sum of all passengers free baggage allowances.
Pooling maybe applied only for the norms of free baggage allowance.
Each item of checked baggage shall have adequate package, ensuring its safekeeping during the carriage and handling and excluding the possibility of harm to passengers, crew members, third parties, damage to the aircraft, baggage of other passengers or other property.
Baggage, not corresponding to the requirements of this paragraph shall not be admitted for carriage.
Baggage with external damages that do not affect its safety during the carriage and handling and cannot cause harm to the passengers, crew members, third parties, damage to the aircraft, baggage of other passengers, or other property, may be accepted for carriage as checked baggage with the consent of the carrier. The presence and type of damage is confirmed by the signature of the passenger.
Passenger is not recommended to put in checked baggage fragile or perishable items, money, jewelry, precious metals, securities and other valuables, business documents, keys and other similar items.
The weight of one piece of checked baggage should not exceed 50 kg.
Checked baggage will be carried on the same aircraft as the passenger.
As a hand luggage can be accepted things, weight and dimensions of which is set by the carrier and allow placing them safely in the aircraft cabin.
The passenger is obliged to ensure the safety of hand luggage and items carried in the aircraft cabin. When you are going out the aircraft, the passenger is obliged to take on board hand luggage and items mentioned in paragraph 15.
In addition to free checked baggage passenger can carry personal items, necessary during the flight.
- lady’s handbag or briefcase;
- walking stick;
- bouquet of flowers;
- printed editions for reading during the flight;
- baby food for feeding a child during the flight,
- mobile phone;
- video camera;
- portable computer;
- suit in a hold-all;
- baby cot to carry a baby;
- crutches, a stretcher or a wheelchair for passengers with limited mobility.
These items don’t need to be weighted, checked-in or marked by tags.
The passenger shall pay a charge for the carriage of an oversize and heavy baggage, pets and birds. Guide dogs for the blind persons, with containers and food, will be carried free of charge.
The carriage of the specified baggage shall be paid due to its actual weight in accordance with established rates of airlines.
17.If the carrier will provide carriage in a lower class of service, in this case the passenger will have the right for carriage the baggage due to the class paid by the passenger.
18. Passenger is not allowed to carriage the baggage weight, dimensions, packing or the contents of which does not exceed the International standards and requirements, rules and other normative legal acts of the Russian Federation, legislation of the country, on territory, from territory or through the territory of which carriage is performed or the carrier’s regulations.
19. Registered baggage means passenger’s baggage which has been accepted for carriage by the carrier, which is responsible for its safety. Passenger has no access to the baggage during the flight except cases when the authorities conduct the additional check.
20. The baggage carried in passenger compartment of the aircraft is not allowed for carriage to prevent damage to equipment of the aircraft, to the persons or property belongings during the carriage. Animals and birds (except pets (birds)), insects is prohibited for transportation. by the law of the Russian Federation, International agreements, and the law of the country to, from, or through which the transportation is performed.
Transportation of baggage requiring special conditions
Passenger’s baggage is considered as special (brittle and fragile items, filming, photo, video, radio equipment, office equipment, musical instruments, electronic and optical devices) is accepted for carriage in passenger cabin if permitted by carrier and requiring special precautions during transportation and passed through aviation security control.
Baggage which is carried in the Cabin should be placed in special places (compartments), and if there is no so — in the passenger’s seat. Passenger should pay the passenger fare for an additional seat according to the Carrier special carriage rules.
The carriage of diplomatic baggage is conducted by the law of the Russian Federation, International agreements, and carrier rules.
Pet animals (birds) can be carried as baggage.
Pet animals (birds) shall be accepted for transportation only if permitted by carrier.
To transport pet animals (birds), the passenger shall present the necessary documents provided for by the law of the Russian Federation, International agreements, and the law of the country to, from, or through which the transportation is performed.
Pet animals (birds) must be placed into a firm container (cage) which shall provide the necessary conveniences during the transportation, as well as the access of air, and shall be equipped with a reliable latch (lock). The bottom of the container (cage) shall be dense, waterproof, and covered with an absorbent. The container (cage) must exclude any spillage of the absorbent. A cage for birds shall be covered with a dense lightproof cloth.
The weight of pet animals (birds), together with the container (cage) and the food for feeding, is not included in the standard limit for free-of-charge luggage and shall be paid for by the passenger in accordance with the rates defined by the carrier.
Oversized baggage shall be carried to the packaging area in the manual mode.
Oversized and heavy baggage shall be loaded to aircraft using apron mechanization facilities.
Baggage delivery to passengers
1.The passenger shall be informed and notified of baggage arrival, details of baggage delivery which shall be coordinated with the carrier at the point of destination, stopover or transfer, and about the reasons of any delays of baggage delivery and ensure baggage claim.
2. The baggage may be collected by the passenger immediately after performing the baggage tag coupon and the baggage label.
3. At the point of destination the baggage shall be delivered by the carrier, whose flight the passenger has come to the destination airport.
At the passenger’s request the checked baggage can be issued also in airport of departure, airport of transfer, airport of transit, airport of stopover, if such issuing in this points is not prohibited by International agreements and the law of Russian Federation in the territory, from the territory or through the territory on which the carriage is performing and if there is enough time and there are possible circumstances.
4.If the passenger can’t show the baggage receipt and baggage tag to the carrier, the carrier can issue the baggage to this passenger only after proving passenger’s identity to the baggage.
Storage and disposal of checked baggage
1. A passenger’s checked baggage may be stored free of charge at the airport of destination according to the agreement of Air carriage for 2 days, including the day it arrives at the airport.
The carrier is responsible for the storage of baggage at the airport for a longer time. Baggage that, through the fault of the carrier, is not delivered to the airport of destination by the time specified on the passenger’s document of transportation is stored at the carrier’s expense.
2. If passenger’s baggage that does not have a baggage tag and has an unidentified owner is considered undocumented baggage is delivered to the airport of destination, airport of transfer or stopover and was not collected or required by passenger, the carrier is obliged to find the passenger.
If checked baggage is found, the carrier shall assure the notification of the owner of the baggage and its delivery to the airport (point), indicated by the passenger. The passenger shall be notified of arrival of the baggage, details of delivery of the baggage shall be coordinated with the carrier.
If the owner of undocumented baggage is established, the baggage is stored at the airport for a period of 6 months, starting from the day on which the airport of destination, having received the baggage, sends its owner written notification of its arrival. Once this deadline has expired, the baggage is considered unclaimed and is subject to disposal according to the law of Russian Federation.
3. Hand baggage left behind or forgotten on board the aircraft by a passenger is stored at the airport of destination for 6 months from the date of its arrival at the airport, after that it shall be utilized according to the established procedure and to the law of Russian Federation.
4. The storage of baggage subjected to customs control are keeping according to the established procedure and to the law of Russian Federation.
5. The carrier shall take all reasonable measures to search for baggage if passenger on arrival at the airport of destination, stop-over or transfer could not recover his baggage and filed a written statement of non-arrival of the baggage without leaving the baggage dispensing zone. Measures such as:
- the written inquiry to the airport of departure on the availability of baggage;
- the written inquiry to the airports, in which baggage can be delivered incorrectly;
- the written inquiry about forwarding baggage if it is found.
A search of lost baggage shall be made immediately from the moment the passenger submits a report.
In case the lost baggage is not found during 21 days of the date of filing a statement of non-recovery of baggage the passenger may claim compensation for the damages inflicted by the loss of checked baggage.
If registered baggage is found the Carrier should inform the owner of registered baggage and ensure the baggage delivery to the airport (point) indicated by the passenger, or at the passenger’s request, to the indicated address at no extra charge.
6. If passengers checked baggage was not delivered at the destination airport or another airport then it was indicated on the baggage tag in which according to the contract of air carriage passenger’s baggage should be delivered (hereinafter — mishandled baggage), or registered baggage that was delivered at the airport without baggage tags and was not claimed by the passenger (hereinafter — undocumented) baggage, the carrier should fine the owner of this baggage and store it.
7. In case if the mishandled baggage was delivered at the airport, the carrier should check all the requests and claims for baggage.
If there are no any requests for baggage the carrier should notify the airport from which baggage was delivered and send it back in accordance with baggage tag. If it is not possible to send this baggage according to its baggage tag, the carrier should ensure the dispatch to the airport from which the baggage was delivered.
8. In case if the undocumented baggage was delivered at the airport, the carrier should complete the Property Irregularity Report. Undocumented baggage should be weighed, opened, its contents should be described and sealed. Baggage should be opened by the Commission established by the carrier or service organization.
The carrier should perform the inspection of baggage according to the baggage claims of passengers and send the requests to the airports from which baggage could be delivered.
If a match is undocumented baggage requests for baggage is delivered in accordance with this request.
9. If during the search of the checked baggage, the contents of which spoils after a certain period of storage, or on the effects of temperature, humidity or other conditions (hereinafter — perishable items) is under the threat of damage, the carrier has the right immediately utilized all perishable items or a part of it.
(the following parts):
- Animals and plants
- Acceptance/delivery of baggage
- Oversized baggage
- Excess baggage
- Fragile, perishable
- Damage or loss of baggage
- Emergency situations